The goal of my blog posts is promote holistic living and help others achieve optimal wellness spiritually, mentally, and, physically.
If we take a look a physical health, there are various ways to reach this goal.
Today, I want to take a look at skin care specifically (and the facts surrounding it) so that you can make the best choices for your health. Many of the facts listed below, I personally did not know until a few years ago – which I why I felt compelled to share.
10 Facts About Skin Care You Might Not Know
1. Your skin is the largest organ of the body.
2. 90% of visible signs of aging are from the sun or environmental factors. Genetics play a minimal role. So that means ONLY 10% of visible aging actually comes from natural aging!
3. Your skin starts losing collagen as early as your 20s. So everyone can benefit from an anti-aging line! Vitamin C is also shown to help maintain healthy skin through its antioxidants.
4. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells clogging the skin and opens the way for your skincare products to penetrate more deeply into the skin, which makes them more effective. Exfoliating 2-3 times a week is recommended. People prone to having oily skin should exfoliate on a daily basis.
5. Washing your face twice a day is recommended. Dirt, makeup, and dead skin cells can build up on your skin over the course of the day potentially causing blocked pores.
6. What you eat and put in your body CAN affect the appearance of your skin. Let’s take sugar for example: sugar increases your insulin levels making your skin look saggy, washed out & sallow. Sugar can also affect the balance of bacteria in your gut which can lead to breakouts on the face, shoulders, and chest.
7. Because your skin is one of the largest organs your body has, it works hard every day to protect your body from harmful elements. Taking care of your skin and developing a skin care routine is very important because it helps this organ to do its job better.
8. The European Union bans nearly 1400 ingredients, the US bans 11. This is how unregulated the products are here in the US. That is why I personally choose a European formulated brand.
9. Dark spots can appear on your skin the more you are exposed to the sun, making it
vital to wear SPF as a teen and young adult.
10. Getting a good night’s sleep is just as important to your skin, as it is your mind and body.
#skincare #plantbasedskincare #holistichealth #health #wellness #beauty #skin #skincaretips #veganskincare #cleanbeauty #holistic